View Single Post
Old 08-22-2002, 12:12 PM
Administrator

Default Grade Tech - WOW! More and more, I really like this company

Posted By: Dan Mathewson

I'll ignore Koos' grade-school rantings and name calling herein, and from now on. He's becoming easy to ignore... <laugh>

It's a good point that Grade-10 corners, and what they look like under a microscope, should be put somewhere on the site for comparison, I think. Even Grade-10 corners, under magnification, can look distressed and frazzled.

I can't completely agree with Bruce, though, because this card compares directly to a few SCG 88's (which is supposed to be a PSA 8) that I have as well as some PSA 8's. Specifically, I'm looking at my 1961 Topps Mattys and 1961 Fleers.

I have a PSA NM-MT 8 1961 Fleer, #59, Matty (cat # 01814930)...the corners look maybe as good as this card here, Bruce. I wish I couldget a scan of this to load. They are not perfect 10 corners. They are 8 corners. And, my white borders are somewhat discolored, not nearly as white as this Grade-Tech card. And, like most of these 1961 Fleers, the centering is not great.

Same with my PSA NM-MT 8 1961 Topps, #408 (cat # 11011684). Every corner is slightly touched and the lower left corner has a wrinkle i can clearly see. Slightly discolored borders, pretty good centering. Probably an accurate 8. Not a 10, but an 8. It seems like people want a grade-8 card to exhibit grade-10 characteristics. So, I don't quite understand the points being made...