View Single Post
Old 03-03-2014, 12:32 PM

STLCARDSFAN, Yes, the Mickey Mantle All-Star WAS one of the five cards. I was 7 years old and thrilled to pieces that I got Mickey! Jim Gentile was another, and a Chicago Cubs pitcher that did not do too much in the majors. The card had a bright yellow background. Thanks for asking. Have a great day, buddy. --Brian Powell

PS -----As you are probably well aware, numbers 587 and 588 were never issued in 1961. I have wondered, given the extreme popularity and interest at that moment in time concerning Roger Maris and Mickey Mantle gunning for Ruth's single season HR record, whether Topps chose to double-print the M&M boys' All-Star cards. This would make perfect sense. What would have made even BETTER sense---Topps doing a card of the dual as they had done periodically throughout the 1961 set. Title it simply, "M&M Boys". Preferably on a horizontally-styled card. What a dream card!!!!!!!!!!! THIS is the exact type of card Topps should do for a National Convention giveaway. I'd fight to get one of those! If, that is, they do a good job of it. OH TOPPS PERSONNEL, ARE YOU LISTENING? TAKE THIS AS A STRONG HINT and a SUGGESTION FROM SOMEONE WHO PAYS ATTENTION TO WHAT YOU OFFER AT THE NATIONAL!

Back in the early 90s a gentleman did that very thing. He took a stunning photo of the pair and fashioned a 1963 Topps-looking card. Superb work. But the hobby came down on him in a very disturbing fashion, as I recall reading in Sports Collectors Digest. He didn't charge that much for it, either. This was about the time when the powers that be started investigating unlicensed cards, and making those individuals stop doing so, while sometimes imposing uncomfortable penalties.

Eventually, I bought one on eBay. I LOVE IT!!!!!!

Did you ever strike a deal on the 1955 Rawlings Stan Musial card set on that glove box flap?

--Brian Powell

Last edited by brian1961; 03-05-2014 at 11:44 AM. Reason: I had time to expand my brief message of yesterday.