View Single Post
Old 12-04-2006, 06:29 PM
Administrator

Default The best Detroit collection in existence?

Posted By: Joann

Barry,

It was a fabulous experience. I've struggled to try to find ways to even think about it let alone describe it. I've never seen any collection this extensive or this advanced. (Come to think of it, I've never seen any collection of vintage at all - just my own.) And to have it be all Detroit - just wow. Everything was Detroit, unless there were more full sets in the safe like the T206. He knew I was a big Tiger fan, so emphasized that.

Did I mention that his living room walls were covered with huge photos of various Tigers, all autographed? Maybe 10 in all. The whole place was a Tiger haven. He said his wife is understanding of his collection, but not so much on the collecting. In other words, she doesn't mind it being displayed throughout the house, but it sounds like she'll step in if the time or money get out of hand.

J

Oh. And one final note. I don't think he has any real idea of the value of this collection. I mentioned a few values of cards based on my recent purchases or inquiries and I think he was genuinely surprised. He said that he tells anyone that is even slightly interested (and I paraphrase - unfortunately I can't remember the exact words because they were really graceful):

If you collect for your heart, your bank account will be fine. But if you collect for your bank account, it will break your heart.