Thread: Bryce Harper
View Single Post
Old 03-11-2016, 09:06 AM
I@n Cl@rke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
It's a good debate and needed for the sport. The idea that baseball was freeze dried decades ago and can never change is absurd. Baseball's history and tradition is exactly what sets it apart from all other sports, but they need to market the game better to young people. And getting all over players every time they fling a bat, pump their fist, or act joyful is idiocy.

All this unwritten rule stuff is beyond tired. Makes me chuckle to think that this time last year Bobby Parnell was schooling Noah Syndergaard about how to be a real major league ballplayer. Guy grabbed a bite during a meaningless spring training game and Parnell went nuts and embarrassed him in front of reporters. Yep, and now Bobby is probably behind the counter cooking the burgers. It's always the loud self-appointed Upholders of the Dignity of Baseball (Pappelbon, Schilling, Chad Curtis, Goose Gossage, etc.) who are the biggest jerks of all. More people have bought tickets to see Y. Puig than any of those guys.
Again, I think the clash between the two styles (old school vs new) is better than it being all one or the other. I can't wait to see each Puig vs Bumgarner match this year, after the two had nasty words for each other last year.

Re- earlier comment about Joe Horn, again, I'm all for more "Fun" in the No Fun League. I just think certain personalities pull it off better than others. Again, this will always be personal preference, but I think the guys who come across as genuinely light hearted and fun (Icky, Ochocinco, others) will always get away with more in their celebrations than the guys who come across as sort of serious, or forced in their celebrations.

For whatever reason, Horn, TO, always rubbed me wrong... maybe it's crap like TO allowing his teammate Derek Deese to fight his fight for him, against two Cowboys, while he just picked up the ball and ran back to the star... or the fact that just beforehand he ran right past Jeff Garcia who was trying to celebrate with him. He just always bugged me... maybe part of it are guys who think come across as above their own team.

Anyway, I digress from the baseball argument... conflict between old and new is good and entertaining.