View Single Post
Old 03-01-2018, 11:21 AM
Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by npa589 View Post
Honestly though, when I saw first saw this Mantle in the picture, I felt like I was sinning.

As much as I would like to simply say I'd take a nice Wagner --- I honestly think I would take this Mantle if such a choice was miraculously offered to me. There is just something about the Mantle, even though I don't collect any Topps series at all, or care for the Yankees in the slightest.

I think I know what it is though - I grew up in the Beckett era, and would spend hours looking at, and dreaming about "XRC!", the italicized names, the emboldened prices that were seemingly infinitely higher than any other card in the price guide - and just a tad bit higher than my EX-MT 1990 Score Sammy Sosa that I had in my special "Cases Box". It was the 1952 Mantle and the 1984-85 Star Michael Jordan that held that lore for me. So, even though I now collect T206 and other Pre-War Cubs - it still isn't enough to overcome the overall nostalgia of scouring over every new Beckett price guide to see the unattainable cards from years that not even my dad experienced. Combine that with stories from my grandpa about Mantle, Williams, and there you have it: nostalgia bias.
I was born in '76 and feel the same way. Nostalgia is a powerful force in collecting cards and everyone's life gives them nostalgic connections to different cards.