View Single Post
Old 09-22-2011, 06:33 AM
Tim

Default Brown Lenox Prices

The brown Lenox back along with all other tough back T206’s has seen a dramatic price surge in the last year. But unlike other tough back prices that seem to be settling down I believe the brown Lenox prices will continue to rise.

To date just 19 different subjects have been confirmed with this back and only a small number of these have been confirmed with more than one example. The 19 confirmed are just over half of the subjects believed possible so new examples are expected to surface, but the total population will remain low in comparison to other tough T206 backs. The total number of brown Lenox examples known is a fraction of the number of Wagner, Plank or Magie and there are a third more Broad Leaf 460 subjects known.

Many collectors scoff at the brown Lenox as an insignificant color variation; however the brown Lenox are a unique group of cards, printed separately from the also scarce black Lenox. There are fewer examples known of this back than any other T206 back that was distributed in packs.*

In October of 2010 a Lajoie SGC 50 brown Lenox sold for $12,490 and at that time was thought to be a ridiculous price by some. Then in the spring REA auction an Overall PSA 5 sold for $29,375 and in the early hours of this morning a PSA 4 Al Burch sold for $12,334.

Incredible as these prices seem to some, I believe the realized prices especially the Lajoie were great buys. As the legitimacy of the brown Lenox back over the next several years gains more credibility, and the scarcity in relation to all other backs becomes common knowledge, these cards should continue to rise in value.

*The controversial Ty Cobb back is scarcer than brown Lenox however the debate continues as to whether it is a T206 or if the cards were distributed in the product. Brown Old Mill are also believed to be scarcer but were not inserted into packs.

** These are strictly my observations of the current market. I do not own a brown Lenox nor do I have one to sell.