View Single Post
Old 04-19-2024, 12:11 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

I was just telling some friends that eBay has become completely worthless for buying memorabilia. The endless supply of overpriced common, mass-produced crap dwarfs anything of rarity/quality/value that might be hiding there. The searches have become a complete waste of time.

Yes, the supply may have dried up a bit, but re-selling has always been a "thing" until now. It's because of the 1099-K forms and lowering the reporting threshold to its ridiculous new level. NOBODY wants to sell under these conditions, and is crazy to do so under their current policies.

I used to do very well, selling on eBay. It was quick, easy and inexpensive. But with the new "rules" I do not have the time or ability to scrounge up non-existent records of what I paid for something 30+ years ago.

Much of the stuff has actually gone DOWN in value (Hartlands, Stanford Pottery, etc.) and if you can't prove it, you are completely screwed. Not to mention that you typically need to sell something for 40-50% more than you originally paid, just to break even! You must sell a given item for enough money to overcome the original purchase price, the sales tax, the Buyers Premium, the original shipping and insurance charges, etc. And then when re-selling, you have to cover the eBay and PayPal Seller's fees, which exceed 15%. NOT WORTH IT!

To Howards point... eBay has taken ALL of the fun (and profit) out of selling. Perhaps it's still okay for cards (which have appreciated more and cost little to ship), but that's the reason most sellers have left the platform.

https://www.youtube.com/@tsogreatness/videos

Last edited by perezfan; 04-19-2024 at 12:13 PM.