View Single Post
Old 07-15-2005, 09:37 AM
Administrator

Default E107 - Type I vs. Type II

Posted By: scott brockelman

hal,

without proof positive, it is impossible to determine the origin of the type 2's, the original theory was that they were part of an ad piece or possibly the box the caramel/candy came in, both of which make sense due to the heavier gray stock, definitely not slick finished card stock. my overprint does make it look like either of those theories could be incorrect. as to a strip card of sorts, i doubt it, nor do i think an erroneous piece of stock was used by mistake.

i do feel that all were contemporarily stamped by the breisch williams company, the blank backs and 150 backs may have been distributed by another company or companies altogether. i also think the issue was produced over 3 years or so and probably not 2 as the catalogue states.

i understand your wanting to establish a defacto origin, but at this time there is none. your stating that they are hand cut is correct, i would not deem them trimmed. but i also can't say for sure they are a card issue and not cut from an ad piece, or the box, (which is still my leaning), even with the back stamp. if i was 100% sure they were a card variation issue, you would be sad, i would still own the type 2 lajoie and would never have sold it.

if and when we ever find an ad(even newsprint, which may dsiplay a package), or the ad piece, we will have to speculate their origin,

scott