View Single Post
Old 12-08-2018, 04:42 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
I am sure some of the forgeries would have fooled anyone, but at the same time I think it's likely that many got through as a result of incompetence. I can't post the link, but read Mr. Nash's piece on JSA.
Is it this one, Peter?

"JSA & Jimmy Spence Expose Their Own TPA Scam Linked To Fraudulent Mathewson LOAs (UPDATE)"

Quite the read, and it really makes one wonder just how many "players" are involved in all of this??

James Spence Jr. claims on his website that he “has built a world wide reputation as the premier autograph authenticator in the world.” Spence’s claims have been bolstered by the sports auction houses and other outlets like eBay which endorse and in some cases pay for his services. These associations have deceptively bolstered his credibility in the industry. Spence’s profile was first boosted by disgraced auctioneer and convicted felon Bill Mastro who did the same when he elevated Spence’s status as the primary authenticator for Mastro Auctions and PSA/DNA between 1998 to 2002.

Spence also makes claims that his services are used by the FBI, IRS and the U. S. Postal Service, however, sources affiliated with the FBI have confirmed several times over the past few years that Spence has been the subject of on-going investigations into the third-party authentication business. In addition, Spence has lied about his lack of formal training claiming to have worked with the late autograph guru Charles Hamilton and has been implicated for stealing images of a specific collector’s items and intellectual property which he usurped for his own exemplar files. Spence also falsely claims that he has “an exemplar library which is second to none in the autograph industry.” Spence also claims to have 700,000 files of exemplars. It’s now safe to say his file on Christy Mathewson includes dozens upon dozens of forgeries from Won in the Ninth.

Last edited by irv; 12-08-2018 at 05:13 PM.