View Single Post
Old 11-14-2014, 01:38 PM
€r!©k §µmmær$

Default Doc White, Hiding in Plain Sight

You often hear that if you want to hide something, you should hide it in plain sight. Somehow mask that something 'is not' what it really 'is.' But sometimes things are hidden in plain sight unintentionally. Those are the things I try to find... like a treasure hunt without a map.

I know that there were quite a few people that saw the following images in an auction that ended recently. It was a big lot, most of the cards weren't pictured. Several graded cards, and then these raws:

Obviously adhered to a scrapbook at some time. The White and Herzog were listed as name at top and bottom (although just a sliver). A green cobb that had a nice appearence, but technically low grade. An oversized Pattee. While the backs were stained a bit and/or had some paper loss, the color and images of the fronts were beautiful. All cards were Piedmonts... many were 150s.

The White had an interesting miscut back. It was a back that I had seen before... and I had seen it on a few cards, but most interestingly I had seen it before on a Doc White Portrait Piedmont 150. It didn't take me long to find an image of the card that I had recalled seeing:

My lot was delivered today, and my speculation paid off:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg docWhite-UpsideDown.jpg (77.9 KB, 441 views)