View Single Post
Old 01-08-2019, 10:20 AM
Adam Yastrzemski

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
What it means is that sellers who haven't done 10,000 a year selling into WA aren't obligated to collect sales tax.
I checked the WA DOR site, and couldn't find anything saying a seller under 10K couldn't collect sales tax.
What was interesting was that between 10K and 100K/200 transactions you have the choice to collect the tax, or to post a notice that the buyer is responsible for filing and paying the use tax.

So it seems Ebay is abandoning the claim that they're "just a venue" and acting as a business with 100K/200 transactions and registering to be a vendor.

That means they should be handling the acceptance and filing of the resale exemption forms.
I'm totally not sure, but it looked like there was a form to recover sales tax improperly charged and paid.
That’s exactly what I thought. Since, through them, millions of dollars is sold in every state they are taking the responsibility to collect all of the sales tax for that state and pay it with no action necessary on our part.
I have no problem with this. They must have a team of lawyers who looked this over and decided this was the best course of action so I’ll defer to them. The law has started to catch up with the internet. I am shocked it took this long. I just hope that when it comes time for my state that they allow me to submit a resale cert so I don’t have to pay sales tax on items meant to resell.