View Single Post
Old 02-15-2008, 05:58 PM
Administrator

Default I want a deadball era video game!!!

Posted By: Chris East

If you really just want a simulation, check out www.whatifsports.com. They've got a free baseball simulation where you can match just about any combination of two ML teams from 1885 to the present, pick the lineups, and then it runs a simulation and gives you a boxscore and play-by-play. (I just ran Matty and the 1910 Giants against Shoeless Joe and the 1919 Black Sox three times, and the Giants won two out of three...3-1, 4-3, 1-2).

They also have simulation leagues where you can draft a team within a salary cap, and manage that team against other users. There is a free trial version (10-game exhibition season) and a full season game that is $12.95.

No graphics or animation like a videogame, but it is a pretty decent simulation engine. I've dabbled with the baseball simleague, but have gotten hooked on their college football dynasty game and their baseball dynasty game (both of these just have computer generated players rather than real historical players).

Just as an aside, if anyone decides to do any of their pay leagues, shoot me an email so I can send you a referral link...they throw a couple of bucks in credits to anyone who brings in new paying users.

Edited to add that the 2005 MVP Baseball for Playstation 2 had something similar to what anthony describes is in the 2006 MLB "the show" game.