View Single Post
Old 10-05-2006, 09:30 AM
Administrator

Default Jeter and Today's baseball

Posted By: James Feagin

"And why is it unreasonable to compare postseason performance from one era to the next? Is it because the immortal Ty Cobb is beyond reproach? Yes, it is. Especially here. There's no denying Cobb is one of the greatest individuals ever to play. Too bad baseball is a team sport."

You answered your own question. It's unreasonable because baseball is a team game, Jeter himself would probably tell you one of the reasons he is so "clutch" is because of his teammates. So I will ask Ryan, how is it in any way comparable that a player with 65 post AB's can be evaluated with a player one hundred years apart with 400 post AB's? I understand your point, and its fun to challenge conventions of greatness, but it's only natural to glamorize history. You do that with your baseball focus, so others will as well.

"Okay, enough from me on this thread. Feel free to continue arguing why U.L Washington was better than Derek Jeter and how Cobb just never had any decent teammates."

The old "I get the last word and bail" technique. C'mon you're better than that. I think most would probably rater say that Jeter is not over-rated, but over-exposed. This "jealousy" is better directed at Fox and ESPN which seems to think there are a total of 4 teams in all of major league baseball.

"P.S. Alex Rodriguez sucks."

So is it stats or intangibles? Wouldn't you like to be making $25,000,000 and sleeping....nevermind. Look at A-Rods total post-season stats, which only paint a brief picture of his cumulative greatness. Yankees fans don't deserve A-Rod.