Thread: grading etc
View Single Post
Old 08-06-2018, 07:00 PM
Garth Guibord

Quote:
Originally Posted by 52ToppsMantle View Post
In my opinion, the card manufacturers from about the mid 90s to present, are responsible for all but pricing kids out of a great hobby, with the fancy cards and cuts etc.
There are definitely corners of the hobby that have been priced out to kids, and also collectors like me, but I don't think this is anything new. I started collecting in the 80s and did not grow up with much money, and even then I couldn't afford all the rookie cards I desired.

Sure, kids today (and myself) can't afford a 1/1 Otani super refractor auto relic diamond-encrusted whatchamacallit, but even if not every card is within reach, there are plenty of ways for kids and collectors on a budget to collect.

I just bought a few pack of Topps Big League, a new set for beginner collectors, and I'm going to give them to my 5-year-old to rip and tear. Looking forward to seeing how we each like them. And in the National thread, there was a fantastic story about a collector and his 12-year-old who went and spent $50 on cards, creating great memories. Not everyone needs the limited print run variation stuff to have fun collecting.