View Single Post
Old 11-12-2018, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post
Both Walker and Treadway were US pros. Walker played in the major leagues, Claxton did not.
According to the article I posted:

"But the most intriguing and historically significant Zeenut baseball card was produced in 1916. It featured 23-year-old Oakland Oaks pitcher Jimmy Claxton, the first black player ever to receive such an honor.

The last was the first

Claxton was not only the first black player on a baseball card, he was the last to appear in organized baseball until Jackie Robinson's epochal 1946 debut with the International League's Montreal Royals."

And REA's description states:

"Pitcher Jimmy Claxton's color robbed him of a career as a professional ballplayer, but he was immortalized on this Zeenut Candy card issued in 1916. This card is of great historical significance as it is the very first American-issued baseball card featuring a black ballplayer. Claxton was Canadian born, and of African-American and Indian descent. For a single brief week in 1916 he joined the roster of the Oakland Oaks of the Pacific Coast League, but complaints by both fans and players resulted in his quick release. By chance, the week Claxton was with the Oaks was also the very week the Zeenut photographer stopped by for pictures, resulting in the issuing of this extremely rare and important card"

So I dont know what the technical description is, but its a cool card that is generally regarded as having historical and cultural significance. If anyone wants a better description (or rather a more accurate description), I guess I will send them to "oldjudge" on Net54 for guidance, rather than forward the article or other available descriptions.