View Single Post
Old 10-22-2018, 06:50 AM

Default T206 Back Stamps

I collect T206. I do not collect T206s with back stamps. In fact, I will avoid them bc, to me, the back stamp is a marking (like a signature or doodles) that takes away from the base-card and hurts the overall appeal and value of the card. That said, there are many who collect cards with back stamps, and I respect that interest. Recently there was a post about an auction that contained several cards with a certain back-stamp (if anyone here wins lot 373 in REA, please give Ed (StuckInOmaha) a shot at the McCormick back stamps for his collection), and it made me wonder -- why did people stamp the backs of T206s?

Was there a practice among kids back in 1910 to put your name on your cards so you don't lose them, like kids do their clothes when they go to sleepover camp? Was there a movement to put your name on your card, send it out into the world and see if it ever comes back, like people do sometimes with dollar bills? Was there a promotion where some company advertised send-away name stamps for your tobacco cards?

Why did people stamp their name on the back of their cards, and why does this appear so prevalent on T206s as opposed to other issues?

Last edited by Rhotchkiss; 10-22-2018 at 07:14 AM.