View Single Post
Old 06-16-2013, 12:48 PM
G@ry Cier@dkowski

I've collected Negro Leagues memorabilia for over 25 years now and haven't come across any cards except the earlier mentioned Cuban and Puerto Rican issues. I've spent many hours talking to the old players from the 30's and 40's, the heyday of blackball, and not one of those guys said anything about cards, I made a point of asking.

In my opinion, the one team that was prime for some kind of card issue in was the 1932-36 Pittsburgh Crawfords. Gus Greenlee the owner was a good marketer and would have been the first to issue something like that if the money was there. He had a much bigger pool of cash than the other teams and knew how to spend it. The other teams, including the KC Monarchs and Homestead Grays didn't have that kind of capital to put into a promo card set. Most of the time advertising, including broadsides and scorecards, were handled by the promoter, such as Nat Strong, or if they played in a MLB or minor league stadium by the white team's marketing department through a prearranged set price.

Even the Indianapolis Clowns who lasted into the 60's, didn't have anything like a card set, outside of a specially printed program they sold at games. On the memorabilia side of Net 54 there was a topic about the Negro League pennants you see every so often. There was supposedly a large find of unused ones many years ago so that kind of speaks to how well souviner items sold at games. The fans just didn't have the spare cash.

You would think that there would be many player endorsements in the black newspaper ads of the period, but those too are lacking. Many ads in black papers are just the same white ones you'd see elsewhere. There wasn't the kind of race target marketing that became normal in the late 60's and 70's.

I remember that Bill Wright "card" that Kenny Cole posted when it was on ebay years ago. I think I even bid on it. It's very intriguing and is most likely, as most people have said, cut from a broadside. The picture is from a series of promo shots taken by the team in 1941 and reproduced many times in the black papers of the time. I've never seen that on a broadside but even so I would bet that's where it is from. It's a great find!