View Single Post
Old 01-11-2007, 04:55 PM
Administrator

Default If the bottom fell out...

Posted By: warshawlaw

Interesting topic; perhaps the high level of responsiveness reflects a little anxiety on the part of would-be buyers??

Bruce: “On those items priced between $500 and $5000, the market is generally limited to 20 or less people with specific collecting goals.” Don’t know which market you are referencing but it sure isn’t the one I operate in. There are many, many more collectors who spend in this range per card than your estimate. I’d guess hundreds if not thousands. I would bet that at least 50 people who participate on this board have spent in excess of $500 for a card in the last year. Also, I know you probably didn't mean it to sound that way but I really can't equate a PSA scandal with a terrorist strike. May want to rewrite that list of priorities a bit.

Ted: As I recall, the drop in card prices you referenced did not take place until the recession brought on by the Reagan administration to take down the late 1970s inflation. Plus, you are perhaps forgetting what was happening in cards at the time. Materials were pouring out of attics and closets, especially from the 1950s, and entering the market in huge quantities.

Peter: I don’t think anyone who collects prewar materials would base a collecting decision on Mark McGwire. If anything, the scandals of today‘s sport boost the appeal of older nostalgic materials.

John: Ditto. I’d not sell my cards for money that doesn’t impact my lifestyle. Now, if someone offered me enough to pay off my mortgage with, I’d probably do it.