View Single Post
Old 11-25-2014, 02:02 PM
Fred

Ok, so we're into funny stories about fleabay sales. Here's a good one.... this is before the days of "best offer" and crap like that.

D304 Cobb, SGC10. If they had half grades back then, they'd have given it a .5 instead of a 1. It was pathetically ugly, but it was real/authentic. I had a couple of D304 Cobbs and the one I was going to sell was really fugly.

I put it on ebay for $1200 (opening bid). I got ZERO interest in it.

A couple of months later I put it up for bid at $1400. I get an email saying they'd like to buy it for $1200. I decline. The card doesn't sell at $1400.

A couple of months later I put it up for bid at $1600. I get an email saying they'd like to buy it for $1400. I decline. The card doesn't sell at $1600.

A couple of months later I put it up for bid at $1800. I get an email saying they'd like to buy it for $1600. I decline. The card doesn't sell at $1800.

Finally, I sell it for about $2000 on ebay.

During the time I tried to sell the card and received the diffrent offers I never once became indignant or nasty or indicated they should have bought it the last time it was up for sale. I politely declined the offers. I just didn't care if I sold the card or not. Perhaps some of those dealers (I'm not a dealer) just don't care if they're over priced. On the flip side, if I'm a seller all I have to do is say NO or just not respond to the offer. I think ebay provides the ability for the seller to counter. To me, there's no use in getting upset if an offer is considered "low ball". In any case, as a dealer it's easier to just say NO or ignore the offer. Why be dikk about it?

If someone wants to "reason" with the seller, then that's fine, just be nice about it. And if the seller declines, then that's their choice.