View Single Post
Old 12-18-2012, 03:30 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKreindler View Post
I don't think the comparison is as obvious between the two, but I believe that the illustration was done from this photo. Obviously, the jersey's different and he's not wearing but holding his hat in the card, but still, they're too many things that make me think that it was just a liberty taken by the artist.
Graig
Graig, I understand artistic creative changes, but I believe that for most of the '33 and '34 Goudeys, the artists didn't change face angle, bat positioning, etc, which would be indicated if the Gehrig photo in question were the one used for the '34 card. The Hubbell photo that you presented is a perfect example of how photos can look so similar that the slight differences would lead you to believe that the incorrect one was used to create a card.

Here's a 1937 Goudey Wide Pen photo card that was created from the same photo used for the '33 and '34 , and like the Gehrig, probably came from the same photo shoot. 'GIANTS' is not on the jersey - not sure if the '37 Wide Pens were altered a little for the card, but I'm guessing it was removed from the photo.

Last edited by Runscott; 12-18-2012 at 03:35 PM.