View Single Post
Old 07-13-2011, 12:48 PM
Rob Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
Rob, you proved my point though. I work for an offshore engineering company in Houston. I, too, am expected to project a professional appearance. However, the guys in the mailroom and office services have tats and earrings, but those aren't "professional" jobs. Construction is a profession, but is not a "professional" occupation. IMO, MLB is a professional company and their employees should maintain an appearance of any other professional company.

In other words, in the real world, Wilson and Fielder would have mailroom or construction type jobs - not that there is anything wrong with that. They wouldn't have professional jobs because of their appearance. Why should it be different with MLB - a professional company?
The game and everything about it including the appearance of its players has changed from what the norm used to be. There has never been an MLB wide policy on tattoos or facial hair. If the players want to express themselves in such a way, and the ballclub has no set rules, it is well within their right to do so. If my company didn't have written policies on dress code, then I would be well within my right to dress the way I felt. Whether you agree or disagree with the way Brian Wilson, Prince Fielder, or anyone else looks like that is certainly understandable on a personal level. However, if I held your position I would be more inclined to blame MLB, or the particular team rather than the ballplayer. As I said, if my company allowed shorts, sandals and a Hawaiian shirt every day...I would be that person.