View Single Post
Old 12-04-2009, 12:15 PM
Dave

Hopefully you'll get them back. I've been robbed twice of cards, both when I was much younger.

When I was a teenager in the late 80's I managed a card shop in my little town for the owner of the shop. One day the shop was broken into and most of the higher dollar cards were cleaned out, including many of my own cards I had on display. One was a 53' Topps Mickey Mantle. It was low condition, but as a 17 year-old it was pure gold to me. I think I had a couple early Ted Williams cards to.

Remarkably and unbelievably the cards walked right back into the shop a couple of weeks later when the owner was working the store. It was a 15-16 year-old kid who was a regular at the shop. I still can't imagine what the kid was thinking bringing the cards back to the same shop they were stolen from. All the cards missing were recovered.

The other time was in my early 20's. I had been with my wife by then and we had a small apartment. I kept what was left of my collection at my parents house. It was broken into by an old friend of the family (now estranged) who had fallen into the drug scene. He went straight for my baseball cards and whatever jewelry was around the house.

The cards were never recovered but my parents homeowners insurance covered about 1/3 of my losses and I had most of the stuff catalogued in my records from card shows I used to do. It was actually a godsend for me to be honest. It was mostly crap 80's cards that booked for far more then you could ever actually sell them for..............and being a young couple with a baby on the way, it was a nice little payoff from the insurance company.