View Single Post
Old 05-24-2018, 10:57 PM
Craig L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruth_rookie View Post
It’s always been a dream of mine (and probably everyone in this hobby) to come across a lucrative find of vintage sports memorabilia in a garage sale. I have had no such luck. Have you discovered anything of value, financial, sentimental, or otherwise? If so, talk about a dream come true!

Jason

Not trying to hijack this thread and not retired, 12 years to go. On garage sale finds, I have a great story of my favorite find. At a GS I noticed some late 70s police cards of the Iowa Oaks, Iowa baseball is my main focus. I asked the elderly gentleman if he has any other baseball items. His answer is a quick yes. He invites me in taking me to his basement. He has tub after tub of minor league memorabilia from the I-Oaks & Cubs. Come to find out this man was a stadium usher from 69-85. After a few hours chatting about both out local baseball passion I ask what he wanted for all of it. The guy says this all belonged in my collection and all he wanted was $100, dinner out with his wife and I and to see my collection of local baseball pre 69. I told him it was all worth much more than he was asking and tried to offer $1000. He declined. We had a great time at dinner and hours going piece by piece through my collection. He had multiple bats and jerseys, complete seasons worth of scorecards, lots of miscellaneous items. The miscellaneous items are fantastic and include keys and keychains for different areas of original Sec Taylor Stadium, a 70s usherette uniform for the Oaks, a ball found wedged in the chain link fence, original to stadium, behind the 70s wood outfield wall that was discovered when stadium was torn down and so very much more. We stayed in touch until his passing a few years later. He was great and I treasure the items I received.

End hijacking
Craig
Pre-1957 Des Moines baseball memorbilia
**Ok, I buy DM stuff after '57**

Working on the following sets:
-T201 Master Set
-B18s set minus Reds. *18 to go*
-T202 End panel set
-'35 Goudey
-T206 361 commons/common back