View Single Post
Old 10-21-2009, 11:23 AM
Eric Bea.chley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsaiko View Post
Forgive my rookie ignorance, but I'm not familiar with the sleeve jargon. Can you tell me what the difference is between these kinds of sleeves?

I'll assume that a top loader is what's pictured. You open up the top and slide it in right? So everytime you take the card out you risk damaging the corners, not to mention how careful you have to be not to pinch the card when removing.

All I have is raw cards, so I went to a card store and looked at ways to preserve my cards. I think the screw downs were the ones that made the most sense to me. Those plexiglass thingy's with the screws, right?

The stores I went to didn't have the screw downs that would fit the tobacco cards, they were all too big. I have no idea what a penny sleeve is, but I might want to get some screw downs, depending on the price.

Or maybe someone would be good enough to educate me on what's best, or how to make that determination based on my needs.
Geez, here is a reasonable question from a newbie, completely ignored.

What you see pictured is NOT a toploader that often ding corners when you insert a card. It's a very thin plastic sheath that you put the card in first. If you bashed your card against it you probably wouldn't leave a mark. After the card is in the plastic sleeve, it can then be slid into a toploader safely - the corner of the plastic sleeve goes right in and the rest follows easily. You then get the added protection of an increase of surface tension within the plastic sleeve that keeps the card from moving around the toploader too much. It's also easier to remove, just grab the sleeve sticking out slightly.

They are often called penny sleeves since you can get a pack of 100 for $1. Well worth the price, all my toploaders have a penny sleeve within.