View Single Post
Old 01-21-2014, 05:40 PM
Mic.hel.le. Plo.ur.de

Here's my mom's reply to your request.

Hi Michelle,

Regarding the post card you sent for translation, the printing on the front picture is as the owner says. i.e. USS Cleveland vs. Waseda, etc.

The card was mailed by a Mr. Kimura from the Governor General's house in Seoul, Korea on October 4th, 1908 where he worked and lived as a trainee. The brief writing on the bottom left side of the stamp is the date the card was written. The postage stamp was cancelled on that same date.

The card was addressed to Mr. Yoshi Ichijo who lived at a Mr. Yanagawa's house at 136 Sakashita-cho, Ohtsuka, Koishikawa-ku, Tokyo-shi. The stamp in the middle of the card is when it was received at the Koishikawa Post Office on October 7, 1908.

The correspondence reads as follows:

"Hi, Ichijo,

I heard it's been strong wind and rain in Tokyo these days. How are you doing? Here in Korea it's still very cold and the morning and the night are too cold to wear just one shirt. These days I don't know if Inaba is dead or alive. He hasn't written to me at all, although I haven't written to him either. Kawagoe and I are going to the Government Center club and playing tennis almost every day. Take care."

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokelessjoe View Post
Wow Misha,

Special thanks to your Mom!

Here is a Japanese baseball postcard that I have posted before - I have had some help with translation, but would love to know what the personal inscription says?

Is this something your mother can read?

Translation on the front reads:

USS Cleveland vs. Waseda University Big Baseball Match Commemoration (Victory Waseda)

"The 2 cancellation dates are from the reign of Emperor Meiji (Hirohito's grandfather). The date on the postmark in the middle of the card is
October 7, 1908 - the 41st year of the reign of Meiji. The postmark on the stamp is October 4th, so 2 different post offices cancelled the card. The addressee was in Tokyo."