View Single Post
Old 12-19-2006, 03:22 PM
Administrator

Default My T206 Plank theory....and, what's your guess ?

Posted By: Ted Zanidakis

The scarcity regarding the T206 cards of Honus Wagner, Magie, and the Joe Doyle error are understood.

But, the Eddie Plank card's scarcity remains a mystery. I have a theory that suggests that Plank's T206 card
was withdrawn due to his commitment to the Philadelphia based American Caramel Co. In my opinion, the
E90-1 set was issued in 1908....1 yr before the T206 set. The Cobb (rf pos.) and the CYoung (Boston Amer.)
cards in the E90-1 set's 1st Series are evidence of this. Info on other player's 1st series cards reinforce
this 1908 date, but these two examples are more significant.

Now, let's first focus on Eddie Plank.....he was a "true-blue" Pennsylvanian, born near Gettysburg, PA....he
had his greatest pitching years with Connie Mack's A's....and lived out his life in Gettysburg.

This story in its self does not provide us with any sure proof; but, it does give us some insight into a great
HOF pitcher. However, if you compare the players in the E90-1 set vs. the T206 set, a very interesting
pattern emerges.

The 1st Series of the E90-1 set contains the following A's.....

HR Baker
Jack Barry
Chief Bender
Eddie Collins
Harry Davis
Jimmy Dygert
Heinie Heitmuller
Joe Jackson
Harry Krause
Stuffy McInnis
Eddie Plank
Ira Thomas

While the 1st (150) Series of the T206 set contains.....

Chief Bender (portrait)
Harry Davis
Eddie Plank.

To date, one example of a T206 Plank with a Piedmont 150 back (color error or proof) is known, and
less than 100 Sweet Cap (150 Fac 25) cards exist. While there are 1000's of E90-1 Plank's available.

Now, let's consider the Plank's in the T206 2nd Series. These have Sweet Caporal 350 (Fac 30) backs
The above comparison strongly indicates that Amer. Caramel initially had the "monpoly rights" on their
hometown players; therefore, preventing the T206 set designers to portray them. Further study of the
T206 2nd series, reveals that most of these A's (and additional ones) are in this 2nd series of T206's.....
and, at least initially, included Plank.

However, I am speculating that the Philly based American Caramel Co. once again forced his T206 card to
be discontiued....thereby, limiting the number of 2nd series Plank's that were actually issued.
Indeed, Plank re-appeared on subsequent E-card sets such as the E91, E93, E95, E104, and E106.

That's my theory after a good amount of homework......I'm sure you guys will "punch" holes in it.

But, more importantly.....what is your guess on why the T206 Plank is so scarce ?

TED Z

Edited to add Harry Davis to the list of T206's.

Edited again to clarify some thoughts.