View Single Post
Old 02-10-2010, 02:41 PM

Default Favorite auction house?

Hello all,

I am sure most on here are like me and purchased at lease one lot from each of the major/minor sports auctionhouses.

I just am curious which auctionhouse(s) are your favorite.

Mine, I like several for multiple reasons.

Robert Edward: I always look forward to receiving this catalog. I enjoy looking through past catalogs, as well. I think this goes w/o being said. I usually buy 2-3 lots from them each year, not for resale, but for my own personal collection. They have been one of the more accomodating auctionhouses when it comes to consigning, too.

Hunt: I have seen them grow as I have been a regular in attendance at their Exton (now Valley Forge) live auctions since 1998. I look through old catalogs and shake my head over how prices of items have risen, especially when it comes to tobacco cards. I have had many, many great buys from them over the years, especially when I had ultra fun when they had the McAllister auctions. Those were my favorite, even though my checkbook didn't think so at the time!

I was also a fan of the old Mike Gutierrez Auction. He always had neat stuff and some great autograph bulk lots. I laugh at the time when I bought hundreds of Yankees single signed baseballs, they came in like 5 large boxes. To this day, I still feel bad for the UPS guy!

Really, I have only had a handful of bad experiences with several auctionhouses, but to each of their credit, they were quick in making a right out of a wrong.

I bought a large amount of items in a Leland's auction last year, and for the first time this ever happened to me, the package was lost in the mail somewhere along time line from their offices to the UPS place near my home. The tracking stated it was in customs. Long story short, they were very quick in issuing me a refund check with the agreement if the items ever did make it to me, I would send them a new check. No items. I still scour the net and other auctions for the items that never got to me, including some early Pirates team photos I never saw before.