View Single Post
Old 03-04-2019, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggary View Post
I have a few Lakers pennants from I think from the 1960's. Can anyone show what other pre-1970 Lakers pennants there are to collect?
Oh man, three of my favorites! Thanks for sharing. The first comes from the Sports Arena days, before the Lakers moved to Inglewood in '67. It's pretty rare. The second one is likely from the late 1960s. It was made in several different color schemes: one of purple felt with white lettering; another with blue felt and gold lettering. I have always suspected these other variants came from the early to mid-1960s, when the team colors had not matured to the purple and gold we know today. Your version is purple and gold so it's probably from the late 1960s, after Jack Kent Cooke changed the team colors and moved the team to the Forum.

I've always loved that third pennant, too. It is way more common because, by 1970, professional basketball had caught on in Los Angeles and the Lakers were quite popular. But, go back ten years and that simply wasn't the case when they first arrived from Minneapolis in 1960; hence the scarcity of early 1960-era Lakers pennants.

There's one other style from the early 1960s that was made for several NBA teams, including the Lakers. It is quite rare and looks like this:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LakersNBAPennant1960s.jpg (15.9 KB, 251 views)