View Single Post
Old 04-22-2005, 06:36 PM
Administrator

Default Long story short, I need some advice

Posted By: T206Collector

a few months ago, but only about 1,000 cards from the early 1950's. I brought prices of some of the key cards from those sets in various conditions from ebay, to show what the actual selling prices were of some of his cards in the last few weeks or even days in some cases. That way, he knew the right prices, and I was able to avoid him looking at a price guide, which always starts with money in the thousands -- but for mint condition cards, of course. The hardest thing to tell people with Mickey Mantles in their collection is that those two creases make the card worth low-hundreds, not high thousands. Once we got to a reasonable value estimate for the collection, I told him I could either help him sell through ebay, with a percentage commission because of the time it would take me to scan all the cards and get the important ones graded. Or he could accept cash on the spot, and not deal with weeks of waiting it out. He took the cash, at an amount that made us both happy, and I spent my Christmas holiday selling off the collection, except for two Mantles (53 Topps and 54 Bowman, both in VG condition) as well as about 50 1954 Bowman cards in pretty nice shape, making back my money and then some, plus getting to keep some nice cards to boot.