View Single Post
Old 03-28-2008, 09:25 AM
Administrator

Default PSA vs. SCG -- Discount Valuation

Posted By: CoreyRS.hanus

Jim,

My goal, and I thought yours, is to rid the hobby of slabbed altered cards. To do that, there are various fronts from which to attack the problem. One, which to your credit you have been on the forefront on, is to call auction houses to task for actions they do to cards prior to submitting them for grading. Through your efforts significant progress has been on this front.

Another front is to remove from circulation graded altered cards. This front is just as important to the goal of cleaning up the hobby as the other front. Yet, no doubt due to the potentially adverse economic impact this front could have on the value of certain of your cards, you not only have been very silent but have gone further and said that your cleaning-up-the-hobby crusade is not meant to encompass that front.

Respectfully that makes no sense. This hobby can NEVER be clean as long as grading companies and collectors will not take steps to remove from circulation such cards.

You on your own initiative decided to resubmit all 22,000 of your cards to PSA in the hope of getting upgrades. To say PSA has no duty to look to see if any of the cards are altered and for those that are to refuse to return them to you in their current holders is nonsensical. Of course they should be doing that. And, to any person with a thread of common sense who sincerely wants to see the hobby cleaned up, their refusal to do so is just as wrong and just as blameworthy as an auction house refusing to stop its practice of prepping cards prior to submission.

Earlier on this thread it was suggested that I have it all wrong, that PSA does/did not make deals to turn a blind eye to alterations for re-submissions. And that in fact for re-submissions they do look for alterations and will not return an altered card in its original holder. And too I have used your description of your re-submission arrangement for my own nefarious purposes and distorted what you said. So I, or Leon or anybody else was told to call Joe Orlando directly to clarify this once for all. Well, we're still trying.