Thread: #1 cards
View Single Post
Old 10-22-2004, 01:08 PM
Administrator

Default #1 cards

Posted By: Julie

1 card was alomost NEVER on top(1979-83 were his collecting years). However, I paid a healthy premium for my #1 Diamond Star vg-ex/ex Grove. I especially associate the #1 card phenomenon with the thirties--[perhaps people were particularly numerically-organized then). The '33 Goudey Matthews (another LAST card.)But then--when I was finishing my '56 Topps set and got the last card (not the checklists--those are pristine) from Mark Macrae, he said "I only got you a vg-ex one, becuase it's so hard to find in near mint condition." I believe the first Crcaker Jack (in both sets) has a premium. Have no IDEA what the first T206 even IS. Or Colgans--though I once had a plentiful supply of them.

The first T202 had NO premium attached--there's a minor HOFer (Wallace) on one end; I don't think people even know how Scrapps were organized (but probably into two teams, at least), and I don't know where, in the set, the 8 baseball players are in the N162. The first Old Judge probably hasn't been discovered yet. I'm equally ignorant of the first Mayo--hey, did they HAVE rubber bands in the late 1800s? Lots of boxes, and trimming cards to fit in them, etc. Also those terrible albums with cards stuck in with wood glue, the imperishable...

I'm sure what you want is FACTs, not random experience...