Thread: On the easel...
View Single Post
Old 02-08-2018, 12:03 PM
Graig Kreindler

Thanks again for all the kind words, everybody!

Jack, those details are the kind of things that make the image for me. It just becomes so important for the viewer to feel that cold air, and for the sweater to feel like a sweater. That stuff also happens to drive me pretty bonkers, but ya know, there are worse things to be obsessed over, right?

Mark, the image is from Ruth's first spring training (1915) in Hot Springs, AR - I think the field was known as Majestic Park? Pretty spartan for sure, but it feels like most stuff was back then. But yeah, the image is from the client's own RPPC.

And regarding the ballpark depicted in the Clarke image, you're actually right: they ARE the same. It's the Polo Grounds in 1902, a time in which the walls to the stands were a lot higher than they were when Cobby had that photo taken of him by Bain. The reason Cobby was at the Polo Grounds was because the Yankees were playing there at the time - they left Hilltop in 1913 and stayed there until the new ballpark opened in '23. So I guess the ballpark was considered to be an American and National League one (though I doubt that distinction made John McGraw happy).