View Single Post
Old 02-22-2016, 01:37 PM
Lou Simcoe
L0u Sim.coe

Quote:
Originally Posted by the 'stache View Post
I don't think it was a snarky comment at all. It was good advice. You'd be well served not to throw thousands of dollars at something you know next to nothing about. The smart thing to do is to begin by figuring out what you are interested in, and then start slow. You need to put in the time learning the ins and outs of the hobby, including how to spot fakes, and altered cards. Do that, and you'll develop instincts that will serve you well as long as you are collecting.

If a potential investor came to me and said, "I'd like to put $25,000 into the options market", the first thing I'd do would be determine what their goals were, and what their risk tolerance was. I'd also gauge their investment experience. If they've never traded options, they're not getting naked approval.

Far too often, people are lured by the promise of big gains. But in any area where money is being risked, one needs to learn to how to walk before they can run. And before learning how to walk, they need to learn how to crawl.
+1

JK, this is a thread and it's difficult to know the spirit in which things are posted or commented on. I tend to believe most posters here are sincere and, in time, you will see that there is an abundance of knowledge about the hobby here.

Take the comments for what they are, and try not to read things into it.

Understand that most, if not all of us, began collecting by not spending hundreds or thousands of dollars on cards. We began buying packs as kids, then attending shows, and then perhaps bidding through auctions. Most of us have purchased on ebay.

It has taken us lots of time and years to develop knowledge and insight about the hobby. So it " bothers " us when you tell us what you are doing in terms of purchases, and then ask our opinion. Most of us try to error on the side of caution with our purchases, and we are trying to help you avoid the mistakes we have made.

The advice given in previous posts, imo, has been reasonable and practical.