View Single Post
Old 05-30-2012, 07:32 PM
WillRow.ett III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Young View Post
Craig,
I absolutely agree with you on Mantle being a larger story vs say an Ernie banks as a rookie. Therefore, the existence of a greater number of DIFFERENT images. I am just referring to the need to print multiple copies of each in 1951 -53. No need IMO.. as the hype was primarily in NY and there was no real "National" story worthy of sending hard copies to different media outlets. Especially with the wire capabilities. I also noticed that this particular example has date stamps through the late 70s. Which tells me it was the ONE used in house for all/or most of the published stories. I know for a fact that INTERNATIONAL NEWS was the agency who took this original shot and owned the negative(where this originated). If they used this image in house all those decades, what would be the need to print more?? If they did, why not use cleaner examples??? I wouldn’t be shocked if we NEVER see another or less than 3 pop up EVER. BUT… you never know… Mantle was one of teh most photographed athletes EVER so I am not surprised that there are 3-5 inch think folder full of images. BUT..that in NO WAY makes be believe that this one exists in ANY of them. Just some observations on my end. Ben

PS: I think I might have just talked myself into cashing out some retirement and making a run at this. Anyone out there have thoughts other than "It's just a photo" or "You're an idiot for talking a pre-penalty" that can talk me out of this..PLEASE! HAHA
Ben, if you cash out a portion of your IRA to pay for this you have 60 days in which to roll a portion or all of those funds back into the IRA to avoid all penalties and tax. Keep in mind that you can only take advantage of this once a year.