View Single Post
Old 11-01-2019, 11:26 AM
Mike Dugan

Another 65 year old. I bought my first cards at a neighborhood grocery store really just a house in 1961. I think I bought one pack of Topps baseball and was really turned off by a checklist card, I felt cheated. That Fall and Winter I bought 1961 NuCard Football and am surprised that I wasn't turned away from collecting by their erratic numbering! I loved the little pennants and covered my book covers with them.

In 1962 I was all in on Topps Baseball and even managed to talk the lady at the counter our of two empty wax boxes to store them in. I was very aware of the green tints and enjoyed finding the differences. What I had trouble understanding was the gaps in my cards. Apparently my store did not get every series so I had complete series just not every series.

1962 Topps Football was perfect, living in the south football was and is king. The Football Bucks were a big hit. In 1963 we had a Laundromat not far from our school that had Fleer Baseball, I completed the set minus Adcock and a checklist. I actually remember liking the cookies inside more than Topps gum. Around 1980 I ran into an old classmate that walked to school with me, we mentioned still having our cards. We got together to trade and I picked up the Adcock. Just last week a card shop owner asked me if I needed a checklist. I said yes and he said that one that was checked on one side walked into his shop. $20 later I brought it home and completed the set I started 56 years ago!