View Single Post
Old 08-03-2005, 05:55 AM
Administrator

Default t206 backs, mainly

Posted By: identify7

I was thinking that it might be fun to assemble all of the different card backs for a single player & pose. This assembly could include t206s and other sets which show the same player and pose.

Last night I took a quick look at this possibility and believe this assembly likely to be rather difficult to complete, due to the scarcity of some sets.

Specifically, those t206 look alikes I have tentatively identified include t214 Victory - which contains 30 cards (as of Lipsett's publication), L1 + s81 Helmar Premiums which have 25 "cards" each, T3s, three subdivisions of Coupons, and t215 red cross (which may include the Pirate back that reportedly was distributred to American servicemen overseas).

Since some of these relatively small sets appear to be a limiting factor, I sought the players common to each. Although I have not visually verified that a similar pose is in each set, only Bender is available in all sets. Cobb is solely unavailable in the Pirate backs.

It may be reasonable to expect that some of these cards are infrequently available. Therefore, pursuit of this type of a grouping would likely involve the assembly of the more common cards and waiting for the more difficult ones to become available.

Edited to add:

Looking at a few of the poses: The T3 shows Cobb bat on, T215 has Cobb bat off, two of the Coupons are red port. + bat off. So, identifying the variety of backs which display essentially identical fronts, appears to require individual comparisons. Complimenting this cxonsideration, there appears to be differences of opinion regarding the range of t206 backs which exist. For example, the link cited by Brian specifies 32 different backs, while other intrepretations (such as that in the Sak's page) show 40 different backs.

I therefore conclude that an assembly of a collection such as proposed in this thread involves much personal intrepretation and preference. It could be quite interesting to pursue, given infinate time and unlimited funds.