View Single Post
Old 10-09-2014, 02:49 PM
B. Schneid.
Ben Sch.neider

I think the concern for the hobby is less in whether people are interested in baseball and more whether people are interested in collecting sports memorabilia, particularly cards.

I'm 28 and I'm definitely on the cusp age-wise where kids just stopped collecting cards. When I was young I collected baseball and basketball cards and that was in the mid to late 90's. Even then there wasn't a whole lot of kids in the neighborhood collecting. Then come around the early 2000's, no one was collecting cards. I have a younger brother and he collected because of me, but none of his friends did. If they did collect cards they were Pokemon.

I think to get people hooked on collecting you have to get them while they're young. And I just don't think hardly any kids born say after 1997 ever collected cards as a kid.

I may be wrong in this assumption though. But I'd be curious to see the age study in about 10 years. There's a fair amount of people in their 20's collecting because we are literally the last generation that collected when we were kids. Kids any younger just never grew up collecting cards, they grew up collecting Pokemon on their Gameboys. Card stores still use to be everywhere when I was a kid, now they're nowhere.

Last edited by The Nasty Nati; 10-15-2014 at 10:17 AM.