Thread: baseball books
View Single Post
Old 04-23-2012, 03:41 PM
Mark Peavey

Default Baseball books

First, the Harold Seymour books are FANTASTIC ! If your goal is to learn as much as you can about the deadball era, that's the way to go.

If you want to learn as much as possible about the individual players of the time, I recommend Deadball Stars of the American League and, of course, Deadball Stars of the National League. Both were published by SABR, with various writers contributing.

One of my favorites is The First Fall Classic (Mike Vaccaro) about the World Series of 1912. Also, Where They Ain't, which sounds like a bio of Wilie Keeler, but is actually about the Baltimore Orioles of the 1890's. It's wonderful, and you will discover many interesting stories about McGraw and Jennings.

Finally, I have to mention Wrigleyville. Yes, it covers many years beyond the deadball era, but the account of the events leading up to the Merkle game and its aftermath, is fascinating. I don't read much of anything more than once, but I have read those few chapters from Wrigleyville several times. You will love it! The author is Peter Golenbock.

Mark