View Single Post
Old 08-30-2018, 12:36 PM

Default Beckett Sub-Grades

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
I cannot agree more with the thoughts voiced on this thread.

A year is absurd: hire and train some more people, for crissakes. What BGS is doing is just crappy customer service.

I also agree that the grading lottery is way worse with BGS than with PSA because of the silliness of the subgrades. I submitted one card at the National in AC, and only because the PSA line was too long:

The card is spectacular. The subgrades are nonsense. The same set yielded these:

The three are identical in terms of condition.

... I had always wondered about how BGS graders arrived at their final grade because it obviously wasn't just an "average" of the four subs ; many years ago , just before 9/11 as I recall , at the Fort Washington,PA show , someone at their table explained to me that the values of the subs were weighted , with corners and centering counting the most , and surfaces and edges less so ; and in answer to a specific question he also told me why the particular sub-grade for "corners" was almost always the lowest of the four subs : " Beckett graders consider a sportscard to have eight corners i.e. the 4 on the front and then the other 4 on the reverse"---- sooooo all that plus the high value put upon that particular sub-grade is perhaps why we just shake our heads when the cards come back and mutter unkind words about Beckett graders.----- I have seen a BGS final grade of more than .5 higher than the 'corners' grade perhaps twice ?? in twenty years , and they were very low end cards to start with. PSA's 'eye appeal' factor doesn't exist in Texas. And I remember they gave me a very nice Beckett Tee-shirt.