View Single Post
Old 11-14-2018, 10:49 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlywynnfan View Post
But as I look at the HOFers I don't have but could afford, does Home Run Baker thrill me? Why would I try so hard for Sam Rice or save up for Hughie Jennings? Does anyone really care? I just got a nice ball with an Ed Walsh. So I check him off the list, put a photo on here, and he goes on the shelf. Why didn't I put that money into my retirement beach house fund or something??
The way I look at it, I wasn't born until decades after Ruth, Cobb, Mathewson, etc., retired, and yet I'm still a collector of that era. On the flip side, I see guys older than myself collecting the new stuff. So it's very difficult to predict what will happen, but I don't see any reason why up-and-coming hobby enthusiasts shouldn't want to collect the players you mention.

I believe there will be cycles, just like in other hobbies. In other hobbies the first indication of a move to a down cycle is that things you could never get hold of become available. Then they become available at lower prices. Then they just don't move. I'm currently holding quite a few rare billiard cues by the old master cue-makers - cues that I never even saw for sale ten years ago. I waited and bought them cheap and now they are even cheaper. If the same happens with guys like Ruth, Cobb, Matty, Wagner, Johnson....I'll be all over it.