View Single Post
Old 10-26-2018, 12:52 PM
David

For one, hobby related, the internet (auction sites such as eBay, etc) killed the hobby in a sense (card shops, etc...).

It's harder for kids to collect mainly because they can't log into PayPal and use their credit card to buy cards online.

In return, they are driven to what's easily accessible (Pokémon, games, comics and toys). There are several toys shops and Gamestops in any local mid sized town. Card and coin shops, not so much.

Back to the topic.

Mantle--- Bigger fan base, all american white athlete in a HUGE sports town.

Aaron--- Smaller sports market/town, black American athlete, breaking the most hallowed record of all time resulting in more hatred and even escalating the "racism" factor even more as well.

Millions of people did not want Ruths record to be broken, especially by a black ball player so lets be realistic. Sad yes, but it's the truth.

In my opinion, it is about timing. Had Mantle and Aaron played today, I feel their collectable status would be different. They played in the 50's-70's. Not too many collectors from that era still around these days.

I can go on and on, but I'm typing from my phone and it's kind of annoying lol.

These are just a few things that crossed my mind in regards to the topic.

PS: I will say this. Society and technology has evolved since they played the game. Usually people tend to go with "what's hot" or with "what's trending" and with Marvel and DC movies killing it in the theatres nowadays, COMICS and TOYS have become more popular than anything else. More so than a typical teen or young adult going after that 1957 Topps PSA 4 Mickey Mantle with great centering lol.

David