View Single Post
Old 11-11-2019, 05:52 PM
Peter Spaeth

My dad, who passed away two years ago, and was of German-Jewish background himself, served in WW II including the Battle of the Bulge. Like many or most I suspect, he didn't talk about it, except on rare occasions you could draw him out a little. It was clear that two things really stood out for him decades later -- the memory of facing live rounds, and the anti-Semitism he witnessed among his fellow soldiers.

It wasn't until the 1970s that he was able to face returning to Germany, which he did as part of a trip to Europe. At the border, of course, he was asked for his passport. He told the official, "I didn't need a passport the last time I crossed this border." It was cathartic for him, I think. He even ended up owning a Mercedes.

Late in life, he began to wear a ball cap that identified him as a veteran. He was truly surprised and touched how many strangers came up to him to talk and to thank him in restaurants, etc.

On a final note, even though it probably was offensive, I found Larry David's riff on thanking veterans for their service (he refuses to thank one at a party, just because he doesn't feel like it) hysterical.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 11-11-2019 at 05:52 PM.