View Single Post
Old 11-30-2010, 11:07 AM
Ted Zanidakis

Default Gil McDougald

Jon

Thanks for that very interesting story on Gil McDougald.

Growing up a Yankees fan during the late 1940's and thru the 1950's, I have many fond memories of watching Gil play.

Here are two significant ones. The scenario is the 5th game of the 1951 World Series. The Giants just intentionally walked Johnny Mize to
load up the bases. Durocher thought McDougald would be an easy out. Casey Stengel told Gil...."Hit one out, Mac". Indeed, McDougald hit
a Grand Slam.
Gil was the A.L. Rookie of the Year in 1951.

The 2nd scenario is also in the 5th game of a World Series. Oct 8th 1956....Gil made a perfect play, and made a perfect throw to preserve
a Perfect game. In the top of the 2nd inning, Jackie Robinson hits a hard drive between Andy Carey (3b) and McDougald (ss). The ball de-
flects off Carey's glove, Gil quickly grabs the errant ball and fires it to Joe Collins (1b) ....which beats Jackie by a split second.

1st cards....1952 Bowman (Spring of '52).............................1952 Topps (Fall of '52)
[linked image]

Jon, I agree with your comment on Gil......"One of the nicest ball players I ever met"......a real fine gentleman.

TED Z