View Single Post
Old 04-07-2015, 03:15 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Default Leon....et al

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
I think we always need to be careful in what we say concerning cards being cataloged, manufactured and/or distributed. Until someone does a comprehensive overhaul, which is universally accepted, we have to go by the American Card Catalog for our numbering. I am willing to debate why T213 isn't T206 with reference to the reference (American Card Catalog 1960) . Mr. Burdick clearly states he knows Coupons, Victory's and Red Crosses, (T213, T214, T215) all were similar in design to T206. He always said he felt the catalog should grow and be revised but I am (personally) not in the camp to merge T213, T214 or T215 into T206.

ps...Ty Cobb was listed as a T206 back brand and I am certainly willing to go along with that one, from what we know today.

Contrary to what some of you think, I greatly appreciate Jeff Burdick's tremendous accomplishments. Not only in the Sportscard field, but especially in the Non-Sports category.
I do not fault him for incorrectly classifying the 1910 "COUPON" issue. As is evident in Leon's excerpt, Burdick's timeline of this COUPON issue is wrong (see red-circled dates
on below insert). Collaborative research on this forum has proven that the T213-1 set of cards were printed by American Lithograph and issued circa Spring/Summer 1910.
Burdick's 1914-1915 timeline pertains to the subsequent COUPON sets that he cataloged as T213-2 and T213-3. The cards in these two sets are easily distinguished from the
1910 COUPON cards since their captions were printed with blue ink (and, of course their backs are a different design).

Leon
I am with you on this statement of your's....."I am certainly willing to go along with that one, from what we know today."

I'd say we can also apply the same thinking to the 1910 COUPON issue. You don't want to call them "T206's". And, that's fine. But, let us at least acknowledge that had Burdick
the correct timeline of this issue, he may have classified these cards otherwise.

TED Z