View Single Post
Old 09-25-2011, 03:43 PM
M@rk Lu7z

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
Probably 1963 or 1964, I went with a couple friends to see the Pirates play. I cant tell you what the score was or who they played that day. After the game we waited for our Roberto to come out through the Press Gate. After some time, he came out wearing a suit! We walked with him for a block or two to an Atlantic gas station, where his car was parked. A pea-green Caddy. What a thrill and still a great memory.
Similar experience, which I have related here before. In 68, I was getting a hot dog one night behind the first base stands at Forbes Field when I got into a conversation with 2 ladies who turned out to be Mrs Roberto Clemente and Mrs Manny Mota. As I was waiting for autographs after the game, Mrs. Clemente spotted me and told me to stay with her. After Roberto came out of the clubhouse, she spoke a few words to him, and he walked me over to his black El Dorodo, which pulled up to meet him. Roberto told me to wait there while he signed some autographs. After about 5-10 minutes, he came back, and we talked for another 5 to 10 minutes about baseball, the Spanish language, and a few other things I don't quite remember. Anyway, he was really great, and I will never forget it.