Thread: WG2 mystery?
View Single Post
Old 09-02-2006, 01:31 PM
Administrator

Default WG2 mystery?

Posted By: David Ayer

Hello to all and a special thanks to Steven for the reply to my post concerning some mysteries surrounding our set of WG2 American League Art Series Fan Craze.

Butch & Co… has also posted concerning my set and I appreciate the feedback that has been generated because of their posts.

While I realize that the “Billy Owen” identification is still somewhat dubious, I do have an observation as to the date controversy. The box that I have has a Registered Trade Mark No. 11358 and has printing that says, “Copyrighted Sept. 1904 Patent pending.” Now, I realize that logic doesn’t have a lot to do with early baseball cards and games however, it seems to me that if the box has a Copyright of 1904, it would be doubtful they would have made the boxes two years before releasing the game. Of course I could always be wrong. I have been many, many times before, just ask my wife!

Perhaps someone with the WG3 National League Fan Craze could chime in and let us know if their box has a Copyright of 1904 or 1906. My money is on the WG2 set being made in 1904. In addition, while I did look up all the players in the Baseball Encyclopedia; I was mostly looking to confirm that they did indeed play for the team listed on their card in the year 1904. Other than the exceptions previously mentioned I didn’t notice any other discrepancies but then I really wasn’t considering the possibility of the set being from 1906 either. I would need to go back and take a closer look to be sure.

Thanks again to all!
David