View Single Post
Old 09-21-2002, 01:17 PM
Administrator

Default M101 Sporting News Issues - New Twist

Posted By: runscott

I've been reading this thread with interest, and was happy to see Jay's response - I also could care less what anyone else considers a rookie card to be. For instance, I was thrilled to death to find the oldest known "card" with a photo of Willie Keeler (since sold to Jay). He's playing with a minor league team, and it's a team photo. Is it his rookie card? Who gives a hoot - I certainly don't. But it IS the oldest known card with a picture of him on it, and that's why I still wince when I look at my reproduction of it that has to suffice from now to eternity. But let's be reasonable - if Jay has a loose definition of rookie, and is working on a pre-1900 HOF'er rookie set, would he rather have the Bingos cabinet with Keeler, or a "real" Keeler rookie card that meets all the requirements set up by the card gods? Personally, I would stick with the cabinet and not even begin a search for a "real" one.

Or what if you have an Allegheny "rookie" of a HOF'er? Good, stick with it - why look for the "real" one? But if you don't have the unique Allegheny rookie, blow it off and fine the mass-produced one and be happy. ...and it goes on and on - the Mordecai Brown minor league team cabinet, etc.

Life was so much easier in the '70s when all you had to deal with was Topps (thank goodness no bread or weiner company decided to create a Nolan Ryan card in '68!)