View Single Post
Old 05-12-2012, 04:19 PM
Steve Birmingham

In theory most cards shouldn't ever get a bump from 4-6. Although the mid grades are probably somewhat prone to a higher portion of borderline cards.
I have a couple that might get that sort of bump or more, if they held strictly to their standards. But most cards are clearly either VG+ or EX.

That's in theory, not in reality. I know some send in till they catch a good day or more lax grader.

Of course there's always a subjective portion to it. Centering can be measured on anything with a border, but one persons VG corner is someone elses EX. And that's the place where problems come in. (I won't even start figuring out how the divide 8,9 and 10, as most of those seem very nice to me. )

Low grades don't make much sense to me slabbed, unless it's a very expensive card. I have 1 1/2 low grade T206s slabbed, one a 10, the other was a 10 , bought raw and actually shipped to me with the flip and the remains of the SGC slab. Neither are ones I sent in. I should crack out the first one, but I'm just too lazy.

I also don't think the really nice cards are overpriced. Some stuff just isn't out there in really nice condition. I'm not overly picky, but once in a while I'll go a bit more for a very nice example of a card. (Raw or slabbed)

Steve B