View Single Post
Old 07-10-2015, 05:28 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beastmode View Post
This. The Mile High Disclaimer should cause concern for bidders, not sure why more folks don't read the fine print of these AH's.

This thread is choke full of good stuff. Can we unwind this a little and educate me on how this works:

1.) Does PSA (TPG's) currently use any equipment during the grading process to detect any kind of chemical modification to a card; (Yes, don't know, No? If I'm buying +$5k pre-war cards, wouldn't this be good information.

2.) If PSA offered another level of grading service that detected the slightest bit of chemical alteration; and then slabbed the cards that passed with a distinguishing cert number for the grade (CU; Chemically Unaltered), would that be beneficial or detrimental to the hobby? I do not believe "authentic" answers this question.

The big elephant in this thread; when does TPG technology become sophisticated enough that EXISTING SLABBED cards from (pre-war?) need to be resubmitted to quell the buyers. That day is coming, and buyers will eventually determine that timeframe.

OK, my first post here....that was easy.
I am not sure why the MH disclosure is an issue. It seemed clear enough to me. Very similar, I think, to Heritage's rules but I have not done a side by side. I think there are others as well. If you don't like it, you don't have to bid, I think all a bidder can ask is to know the rules and not to have stuff going on out of sight. If an AH doesn't misrepresent anything, and doesn't conceal anything material, it seems to me there is no cause for complaint.

As for TPGs, their fees really are quite low, and you get what you pay for. I doubt they will offer a more thorough review for a premium because that would tend to undermine the integrity of their regular review. But I don't know.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 07-10-2015 at 05:31 PM.