View Single Post
Old 01-20-2017, 06:16 PM

Default Ebay Sold Listing Questions -- BIN v. Best Offer Accepted

I recently bought a very expensive and rare card off a seller on ebay. I made an offer 20% below seller's BIN price and seller accepted. On Ebay, the sold listing now shows the BIN price with a line stuck through and a note that says "Best Offer Accepted", yet when you click on the listing it still states sold for the BIN price. Nowhere on the listing is the price I paid ("Best Offer Accepted") shown. I have seen this on other sold listings, of which I was totally unaffiliated with, but upon which I was hoping to rely in determining what I could/would pay for a card I was considering buying.

Why does Ebay not show the amount of the best offer accepted, or worse, show on other pages that the card was sold/purchased for the BIN price, when it was not? Can one find on Ebay the amount of the "Best Offer Accepted"? Under these circumstances, how are price guide resources/websites (not SMR) expected or able to list the card at the price it was actually sold for?

Personally (or selfishly), I don't mind that Ebay states I bought the card at the BIN price, because if/when I go to sell it (in 30 years) it will establish a market 20% above what I paid -- and this card is rare enough that a single sale makes the market. However, as an avid buyer of higher end cards, I think it is very important (especially with all the technology available today) that there is transparency and accuracy with all sold listings so we (buyers) can make informed decisions going forward.

Basically, on Ebay, how can someone find the actual amount a card was sold for when an offer for less than the BIN price was accepted?

Thoughts?